Skip to main content

My letter to Santa, 2022

 




Dear Santa,


How’s things with Mrs Claus and your helpers? Busier than usual, I imagine, given world events this year, so this email is just to let you know that a letter from me is on the way.

 

I’ll begin with my gratitude to you for putting a post box conveniently in my neighbourhood supermarket – and early too! You must know about the challenges I have with mail delivery. It was difficult writing to you from Afghanistan and Sudan, because, like you, I usually work over the festive season. What a surprise to see the post box! Red too, which, of course, is your colour! – not the typical French yellow post box.

 

Thank you also for having the intelligence to re-purpose the red post box. I see that the post box has EuR on the front (for Europe), instead of EIIR after Elizabeth Regina the second – Queen Elizabeth – given the sad end to her long reign. 

 

I’m writing to express my Christmas wish. I’d really like world peace this year, if you can manage it. More than the past 35 years of my requests for it, it’s needed more than ever now. 

 

I mean more than peace from conflict; I mean peace of mind too. 

 

People are having severe financial difficulties due to inflation and government mismanagement and corruption, as well as the ramifications of the pandemic; they can’t afford heating or cooling, or even food. It’s a dire situation. Many don’t have a place to sleep and they face hardships every day. More than that, as you know, it affects their mental health. If possible, can your ease their load – physically, mentally, and spiritually – a  lot? I don’t mean to be greedy, but people need relief from stress and anxiety – like being free from crime, and able to access quality health services, and able to go for walks in Nature, and getting jackasses of their backs who are causing pain and heartache for everyone. I‘m sure you’re aware of these geopolitical and local jackasses.

 

The environment needs peace of mind too. Animals and plants, and all living things, are surely worried and uncertain about their potential extinction. Many don’t know how long they have left to live on this planet.

 

I know you write a list of everyone who has been naughty or nice – and you check it twice. I don’t know about you, but I have a lot of politicians on my naughty list this year. Maybe it‘s not too late for them to be nice in the coming months. 

 

You’ll be extra super busy this year, but I know you’re the best time manager in the world, wtih the best helpers, who just seem to make magic happen. I love watching you and your reindeer tavel across the globe in December – the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) Santa tracker is so cool! 

 

In summary, I’m just asking for world peace (again). 

 

I still believe in you Santa.

 

Much love, 

Martina 


(I’m in Paris – I’ll leave spécialités de boulangerie et délicieuses carottes (pastries and carrots) out for you and your deers!)














 



MARTINA NICOLLS

MartinaNicollsWebsite

 

Martinasblogs

Publications

Facebook

Paris Website

Animal Website

Flower Website

SUBSCRIBE TO MARTINA NICOLLS FOR NEWS AND UPDATES 


MARTINA NICOLLS  is an international human rights-based consultant ineducation, healing and wellbeing, peace and stabilization, foreign aid audits and evaluations, and the author  of: The Paris Residences of James Joyce  (2020), Similar But Different in the Animal Kingdom (2017), The Shortness of Life: A Mongolian Lament (2015), Liberia’s Deadest Ends (2012), Bardot’s Comet (2011), Kashmir on a Knife-Edge (2010) and The Sudan Curse (2009).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The acacia thorn trees of Kenya

There are nearly 800 species of acacia trees in the world, and most don’t have thorns. The famous "whistling thorn tree" and the Umbrella Thorn tree of Kenya are species of acacia that do have thorns, or spines. Giraffes and other herbivores normally eat thorny acacia foliage, but leave the whistling thorn alone. Usually spines are no deterrent to giraffes. Their long tongues are adapted to strip the leaves from the branches despite the thorns. The thorny acacia like dry and hot conditions. The thorns typically occur in pairs and are 5-8 centimetres (2-3 inches) long. Spines can be straight or curved depending on the species. MARTINA NICOLLS is an international aid and development consultant, and the author of:- Similar But Different in the Animal Kingdom (2017), The Shortness of Life: A Mongolian Lament (2015), Liberia’s Deadest Ends (2012), Bardot’s Comet (2011), Kashmir on a Knife-Edge (2010) and The Suda...

Hop on hop off bus tourism comes to Tbilisi, Georgia

City Sightseeing buses have arrived in Tbilisi. The iconic red double-decker buses, a feature of many cities around the world since the company was established in Seville, Spain in 1999, is now in six continents and almost 100 cities. The company established its Tbilisi business in November 2013, with its operations commencing in February 2014. The 90-minute tour stops at 11 major locations in Tbilisi (with 2 to 5 minute waiting times at each location): the Old City (where it commences), Freedom Square, Rose Revolution Square, Marjanishvili Square, the Dry Bridge, Konka, Avlabari, Metekhi, Akhundov Museum, the Sulfur Baths, and European Square. Passengers can hop off at any stop and see the sights, hopping back onto the next bus at any time. Alternatively, passengers can remain on the bus for the whole tour and take photographs when the bus stops at each location. There are one day (24-hour) passes (for 35 lari – about $20) and 48-hour passes for 55 lari, with family d...

The Knight in the Panther Skin by Shota Rustaveli (2015 translation): book review

The Knight in the Panther Skin (12th century, this edition 2015) is a recent translation by American poet and author, Lyn Coffin. The author, Shota Rustaveli, is Georgia’s most loved poet. This poem is mammoth, a magnum opus – it is 1,656 verses long, separated by chapters. But readers, don’t give up, because every verse is worth reading. It is akin to 1001 Arabian Knights, Geoffrey Chaucer’s The Canterbury Tales, or Shakespearean poetry. King Rostevan of Arabia has a daughter, Tinatin. She loves the knight Avtandil and he loves her. Verse 368 from Avtandil: ‘The doctor’s could do nothing. A dark twilight on my heart now pressed, I was on fire because of love, but nobody knew or guessed. They blamed my blood. The king decided bleeding my arm would be best; I let it be done to hide the suffering I had not confessed.’ But a knight in panther skin is seen weeping, and subsequently kills the king’s soldiers, sparing the king. Before Tinatin weds Avtandil she r...