Skip to main content

Yes Mum, I’m still all right and still my mother’s daughter

 

Even at my age, my 88-year-old mother still asks if I’m all right. 

 

This morning, with me in Paris, France, and my mother in Adelaide, Australia, in a nursing home, with my sister Karin at her side, we had a Skype call. 

 

Expecting the call to be ‘a few minutes’ – her call to her brother in Berlin was 10 minutes – Mum surprised us by talking and talking and talking. For one hour and 17 minutes. She would have kept on talking, but she was called for dinner, even though she had a muffin while talking to me.

 

The highlight for me was when she said to my sister Karin: ‘she looks very beautiful, doesn’t she?’ Aww, thanks Mum. 

 

I look more like my father than my mother, I think – but, even so, when I was visiting rural England in 1986, to the small village where I was born, I walked up a farm drive-way to look for Mr. Mountford. I was born in the cottage in the farm. To the man fixing a tractor, who was surprised to see a woman walking towards the cottage – it was an unannounced visit, just to see if I could find the farm – I asked, ‘Is this the Mountford farm?’ 

 

He looked at me, put his hands on his hips, and said, ‘You must be Chris’s daughter.’ It was Mr. Mountford’s son, and I was two years old when he last saw me – and he would have been younger than eight years old. My parents travelled to Australia, by ship, on the British ‘assisted-passage’ ticket when I was two. I guess if he can recognize me, I must be my mother’s daughter.  






I'm second from the left, looking at my mother. Number 2, 3, 4 and 6 from the left are Mum's - the others are a cousin and a friend from next door. Number 6 from the left is my sister Karin - on roller skates! 




MARTINA NICOLLS

Website

Martinasblogs

Publications

Facebook

Paris Website

Animal Website

SUBSCRIBE TO MARTINA NICOLLS FOR NEWS AND UPDATES 

 

MARTINA NICOLLS is an international aid and development consultant, and the author  of: The Paris Residences of James Joyce  (2020), Similar But Different in the Animal Kingdom (2017), The Shortness of Life: A Mongolian Lament (2015), Liberia’s Deadest Ends (2012), Bardot’s Comet (2011), Kashmir on a Knife-Edge (2010) and The Sudan Curse (2009).

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The acacia thorn trees of Kenya

There are nearly 800 species of acacia trees in the world, and most don’t have thorns. The famous "whistling thorn tree" and the Umbrella Thorn tree of Kenya are species of acacia that do have thorns, or spines. Giraffes and other herbivores normally eat thorny acacia foliage, but leave the whistling thorn alone. Usually spines are no deterrent to giraffes. Their long tongues are adapted to strip the leaves from the branches despite the thorns. The thorny acacia like dry and hot conditions. The thorns typically occur in pairs and are 5-8 centimetres (2-3 inches) long. Spines can be straight or curved depending on the species. MARTINA NICOLLS is an international aid and development consultant, and the author of:- Similar But Different in the Animal Kingdom (2017), The Shortness of Life: A Mongolian Lament (2015), Liberia’s Deadest Ends (2012), Bardot’s Comet (2011), Kashmir on a Knife-Edge (2010) and The Suda...

Hop on hop off bus tourism comes to Tbilisi, Georgia

City Sightseeing buses have arrived in Tbilisi. The iconic red double-decker buses, a feature of many cities around the world since the company was established in Seville, Spain in 1999, is now in six continents and almost 100 cities. The company established its Tbilisi business in November 2013, with its operations commencing in February 2014. The 90-minute tour stops at 11 major locations in Tbilisi (with 2 to 5 minute waiting times at each location): the Old City (where it commences), Freedom Square, Rose Revolution Square, Marjanishvili Square, the Dry Bridge, Konka, Avlabari, Metekhi, Akhundov Museum, the Sulfur Baths, and European Square. Passengers can hop off at any stop and see the sights, hopping back onto the next bus at any time. Alternatively, passengers can remain on the bus for the whole tour and take photographs when the bus stops at each location. There are one day (24-hour) passes (for 35 lari – about $20) and 48-hour passes for 55 lari, with family d...

The Knight in the Panther Skin by Shota Rustaveli (2015 translation): book review

The Knight in the Panther Skin (12th century, this edition 2015) is a recent translation by American poet and author, Lyn Coffin. The author, Shota Rustaveli, is Georgia’s most loved poet. This poem is mammoth, a magnum opus – it is 1,656 verses long, separated by chapters. But readers, don’t give up, because every verse is worth reading. It is akin to 1001 Arabian Knights, Geoffrey Chaucer’s The Canterbury Tales, or Shakespearean poetry. King Rostevan of Arabia has a daughter, Tinatin. She loves the knight Avtandil and he loves her. Verse 368 from Avtandil: ‘The doctor’s could do nothing. A dark twilight on my heart now pressed, I was on fire because of love, but nobody knew or guessed. They blamed my blood. The king decided bleeding my arm would be best; I let it be done to hide the suffering I had not confessed.’ But a knight in panther skin is seen weeping, and subsequently kills the king’s soldiers, sparing the king. Before Tinatin weds Avtandil she r...