Skip to main content

The Beatles Guide to Love & Sex by Scott Robinson: book review


 

The Beatles Guide to Love & Sex: How the Fab Four Inspired a Cultural Revolution, 2ndedition by Scott Robinson (2024) explores the songs of John Lennon, George Harrison, Ringo Starr, and Paul McCartney. Although Paul and John composed most songs, all four band members wrote love songs. The author, who has written six books on The Beatles, states that more than half of the band’s 213 songs are love and romance songs. 

 

The book is sectioned by years with sub-sections that explores the songs and romances during that period. The five sections are: 1957-1961: I Saw Her Standing There; 1962: With Love, From Me to You; 1966: And When I Woke, I Was Alone; 1969: All I Have to Do is Think of Her; and 1970: Christ, You Know It Ain’t Easy.

 

The interesting and compelling part of the books is that readers catch a glimpse of four lads from Liverpool growing up – from teenagers to teen idols – as they progress from first loves to first marriages to divorces – and their experiences are reflected in their songs, directly or indirectly. The author states it well: “We begin, then, with four portraits of artists as young men, all eager to partner up, but even more eager to pursue the muse.”

 

Of the romances, the author begins with the “elder statesperson” in terms of long-term relationships – John Lennon’s first girlfriend and wife, Cynthia Powell. There are 4-5 pages for each partner, girlfriend, well-known casual date, dalliance, wife, or mother. The original bassist, Stu Sutcliffe, and his romance with Astrid Kirchherr, also get a mention.

 

Songs are analyzed according to imagined feelings of love, ambiguous loves, or real romances. For example, “P.S. I love you” (a letter song) is ambiguous, whereas “All My Loving” is Paul’s song for Jane Asher. The women evolve too, from teenagers to mothers. Hence, there are also love songs to their children. 

 

Maturity is expressed in songs such as “We Can Work It Out” and in Paul being wistfully nostalgic about lovers and friends in the song “In My Life” – In my life I’ve loved them all. 

 

There is also a brief section on “Beatlesex: Naughty Bits” in which Scott Robinson writes about the overt, implied, guesses, “wink winks” and euphemistic terms and the need for words to be “translated into an already-world-wise sensibility.”

 

This is a fascinating, easy-to-read, page-turning book. Robinson concludes with the final three love-song singles that were all number one hits, by three of The Beatles – John’s “The Ballad of John and Yoko” – George’s “Something” – and Paul’s “The Long and Winding Road.”


As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.




MARTINA NICOLLS

MartinaNicollsWebsite  I  Rainy Day Healing  I  Martinasblogs  I  Publications  I  Facebook  I  Paris Website  I  Paris blogs  I  Animal Website  I  Flower Website I Global Gentlemanliness

SUBSCRIBE TO MARTINA NICOLLS FOR NEWS AND UPDATES 


MARTINA NICOLLS is an Australian author and international human rights-based consultant in education, healing and wellbeing, peace and stabilization, and foreign aid audits and evaluations. She lives in Paris. Her latest book is: Innovations within Constraints Handbook (2025).

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The acacia thorn trees of Kenya

There are nearly 800 species of acacia trees in the world, and most don’t have thorns. The famous "whistling thorn tree" and the Umbrella Thorn tree of Kenya are species of acacia that do have thorns, or spines. Giraffes and other herbivores normally eat thorny acacia foliage, but leave the whistling thorn alone. Usually spines are no deterrent to giraffes. Their long tongues are adapted to strip the leaves from the branches despite the thorns. The thorny acacia like dry and hot conditions. The thorns typically occur in pairs and are 5-8 centimetres (2-3 inches) long. Spines can be straight or curved depending on the species. MARTINA NICOLLS is an international aid and development consultant, and the author of:- Similar But Different in the Animal Kingdom (2017), The Shortness of Life: A Mongolian Lament (2015), Liberia’s Deadest Ends (2012), Bardot’s Comet (2011), Kashmir on a Knife-Edge (2010) and The Suda...

Hop on hop off bus tourism comes to Tbilisi, Georgia

City Sightseeing buses have arrived in Tbilisi. The iconic red double-decker buses, a feature of many cities around the world since the company was established in Seville, Spain in 1999, is now in six continents and almost 100 cities. The company established its Tbilisi business in November 2013, with its operations commencing in February 2014. The 90-minute tour stops at 11 major locations in Tbilisi (with 2 to 5 minute waiting times at each location): the Old City (where it commences), Freedom Square, Rose Revolution Square, Marjanishvili Square, the Dry Bridge, Konka, Avlabari, Metekhi, Akhundov Museum, the Sulfur Baths, and European Square. Passengers can hop off at any stop and see the sights, hopping back onto the next bus at any time. Alternatively, passengers can remain on the bus for the whole tour and take photographs when the bus stops at each location. There are one day (24-hour) passes (for 35 lari – about $20) and 48-hour passes for 55 lari, with family d...

The Knight in the Panther Skin by Shota Rustaveli (2015 translation): book review

The Knight in the Panther Skin (12th century, this edition 2015) is a recent translation by American poet and author, Lyn Coffin. The author, Shota Rustaveli, is Georgia’s most loved poet. This poem is mammoth, a magnum opus – it is 1,656 verses long, separated by chapters. But readers, don’t give up, because every verse is worth reading. It is akin to 1001 Arabian Knights, Geoffrey Chaucer’s The Canterbury Tales, or Shakespearean poetry. King Rostevan of Arabia has a daughter, Tinatin. She loves the knight Avtandil and he loves her. Verse 368 from Avtandil: ‘The doctor’s could do nothing. A dark twilight on my heart now pressed, I was on fire because of love, but nobody knew or guessed. They blamed my blood. The king decided bleeding my arm would be best; I let it be done to hide the suffering I had not confessed.’ But a knight in panther skin is seen weeping, and subsequently kills the king’s soldiers, sparing the king. Before Tinatin weds Avtandil she r...