Skip to main content

“Nearing Completion” - Martina has joined the writing platform Substack

 



I have joined and established a space on the writing platform Substack. It’s a platform where I can consolidate, integrate, and promulgate all of my varied writings – blogs, websites, and publication – and create new content for subscribers. 

 

The name for my Substack is called “Nearing Completion” – in which I can share content in all forms – newsletters, journaling, poems, podcasts, articles, sketches, photographs, learnings, musings, and random views – all in one place. All my websites will continue to exist – but Substack will enable me to communicate with the subscribers of each of my websites on a more consistent and easy-to-use space. 

 

I’ve written my first blog – provided here below – and look forward to connecting more regularly with my family, friends, readers, and supporters. 

 

The Substack “Nearing Completion” begins HERE ! Much more to come. Subscribe! Spread the news! But most of all, enjoy the content – exclusive, personal, and behind the scenes. 



 

I also want to take the opportunity to express my gratitude for the support that is already coming in – from people in far-flung places across the globe where I have worked or visited – from Mongolia to Somalia! And to friends that I have known ‘forever’ who have been kindly providing useful feedback, tips, instructions, suggestions, and directions. I love you all!

 

Introduction for my subscribers


SUBSTACK - “NEARING COMPLETION”

Dear subscribers,

You are coming to this post directly through a Substack subscription or through a subscription from one of my websites. Subscribers on my individual websites (listed below) will continue to receive direct and specific subject-related posts. This Substack subscription list is a compilation of all my subscribers in order to streamline the subscription process.

Here in my Substack called Nearing Completion, I’ll share my reading and writing likes, loves, lusts, and learnings - that bring together the combination of my websites and interests:


In my daily life, I begin each morning for about 3 hours at my usual café in Paris writing and planning my day. I read voraciously, and I write, write, write every day - whether it’s creative or professional.

Through Substack, I plan to form a body of work that pulls together and integrates my writings - professional and personal - structured and unstructured - public and private - scientific and artistic - cross-fertilised and blended - directly for this community of responsive readers.

So, each week, for my Substack subscribers on Nearing Completion I’ll choose some of the most popular posts to share on Substack and re-work them into themes or compilation blogs. I will post blogs on whatever subject that comes to mind through newsletters, journaling notes, poems, podcasts, articles, sketches, photographs, learnings and realisations, meditations, musings, news, and random views. These posts will be for Substack readers only, that have not been posted elsewhere.

Additionally, for my paid subscribers, I will post exclusive content through a weekly or ad hoc newsletter, audio thoughts and messages, podcasts, videos, and feelings about how I’m progressing with my writings, as well as extracts from my new book in progress that no one has read before. I’ll also connect with readers with surveys and questions to ask for suggestions and directions and advice. Or share my personal ups ands downs of a life in peace and poetry and peripatetic perambulations.

Dear readers - unpaid and paid subscribers - I hope that you will inspire me, make me think, and help me create as I live, love, laugh, and launch myself through this crazy world.

Stay up-to-date

Never miss an update—every new post is sent directly to your email inbox. For a spam-free, ad-free reading experience, plus audio and community features on web platforms and the Substack app.

Nearing Completion is a reader-supported publication. To receive new posts and support my work, consider becoming a free or paid subscriber.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The acacia thorn trees of Kenya

There are nearly 800 species of acacia trees in the world, and most don’t have thorns. The famous "whistling thorn tree" and the Umbrella Thorn tree of Kenya are species of acacia that do have thorns, or spines. Giraffes and other herbivores normally eat thorny acacia foliage, but leave the whistling thorn alone. Usually spines are no deterrent to giraffes. Their long tongues are adapted to strip the leaves from the branches despite the thorns. The thorny acacia like dry and hot conditions. The thorns typically occur in pairs and are 5-8 centimetres (2-3 inches) long. Spines can be straight or curved depending on the species. MARTINA NICOLLS is an international aid and development consultant, and the author of:- Similar But Different in the Animal Kingdom (2017), The Shortness of Life: A Mongolian Lament (2015), Liberia’s Deadest Ends (2012), Bardot’s Comet (2011), Kashmir on a Knife-Edge (2010) and The Suda...

Hop on hop off bus tourism comes to Tbilisi, Georgia

City Sightseeing buses have arrived in Tbilisi. The iconic red double-decker buses, a feature of many cities around the world since the company was established in Seville, Spain in 1999, is now in six continents and almost 100 cities. The company established its Tbilisi business in November 2013, with its operations commencing in February 2014. The 90-minute tour stops at 11 major locations in Tbilisi (with 2 to 5 minute waiting times at each location): the Old City (where it commences), Freedom Square, Rose Revolution Square, Marjanishvili Square, the Dry Bridge, Konka, Avlabari, Metekhi, Akhundov Museum, the Sulfur Baths, and European Square. Passengers can hop off at any stop and see the sights, hopping back onto the next bus at any time. Alternatively, passengers can remain on the bus for the whole tour and take photographs when the bus stops at each location. There are one day (24-hour) passes (for 35 lari – about $20) and 48-hour passes for 55 lari, with family d...

The Knight in the Panther Skin by Shota Rustaveli (2015 translation): book review

The Knight in the Panther Skin (12th century, this edition 2015) is a recent translation by American poet and author, Lyn Coffin. The author, Shota Rustaveli, is Georgia’s most loved poet. This poem is mammoth, a magnum opus – it is 1,656 verses long, separated by chapters. But readers, don’t give up, because every verse is worth reading. It is akin to 1001 Arabian Knights, Geoffrey Chaucer’s The Canterbury Tales, or Shakespearean poetry. King Rostevan of Arabia has a daughter, Tinatin. She loves the knight Avtandil and he loves her. Verse 368 from Avtandil: ‘The doctor’s could do nothing. A dark twilight on my heart now pressed, I was on fire because of love, but nobody knew or guessed. They blamed my blood. The king decided bleeding my arm would be best; I let it be done to hide the suffering I had not confessed.’ But a knight in panther skin is seen weeping, and subsequently kills the king’s soldiers, sparing the king. Before Tinatin weds Avtandil she r...