Skip to main content

World Hippo Day 15 February 2024 – Hippos return to South Australia


World Hippo Day is celebrated annually on 15 February. 

 

I love the hippo. While I was in Berlin this week, I visited the Pygmy Hippo at the Berlin Zoo in Germany, where my love for the hippo began many years before. At the Berlin Zoo, there once was the famous female Nile Hippo called “Bulettte” – which means meatballs. She was born in 1952 in the Leipzig Zoo before soon being transported to the Berlin Zoo. She died in 2005 at the age of 53 – but gave birth to 20 young in her lifetime. 


Pygmy Hippos at Berlin Zoo. Photographer Martina Nicolls, February 2024


 

My Hippo alert team has updated me on the hippo population at the Adelaide Zoo in South Australia, where I grew up.

 

Poor Brutus the Nile Hippo died on 7 May 2020 at the age of 55 at the Adelaide Zoo (featured photo above). He was originally called Albert when he was born at the Taronga Zoo in Sydney in 1965. When he arrived in Adelaide in 1975, his named changed to Brutus. He arrived with his partner Susie (formally called Victoria). Brutus and Susie had 17 children. Susie died on 20 July 2017.



Brutus the Hippo at Adelaide Zoo. Photographer Martina Nicolls, January 2003


 

On 8 December 2023, Adelaide Zoo announced the arrival of two Nile Hippos and the “Hip-hip Hooray, Hippos Return to SA” slogan. The two new female Nile Hippos are Brindabella and Pansy, the only surviving relatives of Brutus and Susie. Brindabella and Pansy were both born at Werribee Zoo in Victoria, Australia. Granddaughter Brindabella was born on 9 December 1990 and great-granddaughter Pansy, formerly called Zawadi, was born on 18 November 2013.


Photo from Adelaide Zoo

Photo from Adelaide Zoo

Photo from Adelaide Zoo

Photo from Adelaide Zoo



 

MARTINA NICOLLS

MartinaNicollsWebsite  I  Rainy Day Healing  I  Martinasblogs  I  Publications  I  Facebook  I  Paris Website  I  Paris blogs  I  Animal Website  I  Flower Website I Global Gentlemanliness

SUBSCRIBE TO MARTINA NICOLLS FOR NEWS AND UPDATES 


Martina Nicolls is an Australian author and international human rights-based consultant in education, healing and wellbeing, peace and stabilization, and foreign aid audits and evaluations. She lives in Paris.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The acacia thorn trees of Kenya

There are nearly 800 species of acacia trees in the world, and most don’t have thorns. The famous "whistling thorn tree" and the Umbrella Thorn tree of Kenya are species of acacia that do have thorns, or spines. Giraffes and other herbivores normally eat thorny acacia foliage, but leave the whistling thorn alone. Usually spines are no deterrent to giraffes. Their long tongues are adapted to strip the leaves from the branches despite the thorns. The thorny acacia like dry and hot conditions. The thorns typically occur in pairs and are 5-8 centimetres (2-3 inches) long. Spines can be straight or curved depending on the species. MARTINA NICOLLS is an international aid and development consultant, and the author of:- Similar But Different in the Animal Kingdom (2017), The Shortness of Life: A Mongolian Lament (2015), Liberia’s Deadest Ends (2012), Bardot’s Comet (2011), Kashmir on a Knife-Edge (2010) and The Suda...

Hop on hop off bus tourism comes to Tbilisi, Georgia

City Sightseeing buses have arrived in Tbilisi. The iconic red double-decker buses, a feature of many cities around the world since the company was established in Seville, Spain in 1999, is now in six continents and almost 100 cities. The company established its Tbilisi business in November 2013, with its operations commencing in February 2014. The 90-minute tour stops at 11 major locations in Tbilisi (with 2 to 5 minute waiting times at each location): the Old City (where it commences), Freedom Square, Rose Revolution Square, Marjanishvili Square, the Dry Bridge, Konka, Avlabari, Metekhi, Akhundov Museum, the Sulfur Baths, and European Square. Passengers can hop off at any stop and see the sights, hopping back onto the next bus at any time. Alternatively, passengers can remain on the bus for the whole tour and take photographs when the bus stops at each location. There are one day (24-hour) passes (for 35 lari – about $20) and 48-hour passes for 55 lari, with family d...

The Knight in the Panther Skin by Shota Rustaveli (2015 translation): book review

The Knight in the Panther Skin (12th century, this edition 2015) is a recent translation by American poet and author, Lyn Coffin. The author, Shota Rustaveli, is Georgia’s most loved poet. This poem is mammoth, a magnum opus – it is 1,656 verses long, separated by chapters. But readers, don’t give up, because every verse is worth reading. It is akin to 1001 Arabian Knights, Geoffrey Chaucer’s The Canterbury Tales, or Shakespearean poetry. King Rostevan of Arabia has a daughter, Tinatin. She loves the knight Avtandil and he loves her. Verse 368 from Avtandil: ‘The doctor’s could do nothing. A dark twilight on my heart now pressed, I was on fire because of love, but nobody knew or guessed. They blamed my blood. The king decided bleeding my arm would be best; I let it be done to hide the suffering I had not confessed.’ But a knight in panther skin is seen weeping, and subsequently kills the king’s soldiers, sparing the king. Before Tinatin weds Avtandil she r...