Skip to main content

Curie Museum in Paris: women in science



The Curie Museum in Paris is the laboratory museum of Marie Curie and her husband Pierre – scientists in physics and chemistry from 1900-1930s. 

Marie Curie (1867-1934) and her husband Pierre Curie (1859-1906) discovered radium in 1898. Pierre died in 1906 after being struck by a horse-drawn carriage.

In 1909 the University of Paris and the Pasteur Institute joined to build a large scientific laboratory. Special laboratories were built for Marie Cure from 1911 to 1914, and were called The Radium Institute. 

In the Radium Institute, Marie Curie led the Curie Laboratory and Claudius Regaud led the Pasteur Laboratory. Marie Curie noted that ‘radium continously emits invisible radiation, spontaneously gives off heat, and glows in the dark.’ It was seen as an inexhaustible source of energy. 

From 1919, Marie and Claudius worked on medical applications of radiation, and its use for medical diagnosis and cancer treatment through radiology (after the discovery of X-rays in 1895 by Wilhelm Rontgen). Marie and Claudius wanted to open a hospital to treat cancer patients. They established the Curie Foundation as a non-profit organization in 1921. They did build an outpatient radiography unit to treat patients, but never realized their dream of building a hospital. The radiography unit recorded its first successful treatments in 1925. 

Marie Curie worked in the labs until her death in 1934. She died at the age of 66 from aplastic anaemia due to her exposure to radium. Little was known then about the negative consequences of working unprotected with radium over a long period of time. Her original 1902 page, noting the mathematical calculations to determine radium’s atomic mass, is still radioactive.

A fully-operational hospital was opened nearby in 1936, two years after her death, which provides radiotherapy and surgery for cancer patients.

Her oldest daughter Irene (1897-1956), and son-in-law Frederic Joliot (1900-1958), followed in her footsteps and also worked in the Radium Institute. Irene and Frederic received a Nobel Prize for Chemistry in 1935 for their work on artificial radioactivity.

Her youngest daughter Eve (1904-2007) lived to 102 years, and was a pianist, war correspondent, special advisor to the secretary-general of NATO, and  after she became an American citizen in 1958 she was the director of UNICEF. 

Marie Curie’s office and laboratory were decontaminated in 1981 and reconstructed. 

The Curie Museum was offiicially opened to the public since 1992. In 1995, the ashes of Marie and Pierre Curie were transferred from the cemetery in Sceaux, with her husband, to the Pantheon in 1995. 

The Museum focuses on four themes: (1) the Curie family of five Nobel Prizes, (2) radium, (3) the Curie laboratory, and (4) the Curie cancer foundation. There are labs from the 1930s to 1940s on display, with test tubes, microscopes, and lab notes. There is also a resource centre and a small garden with a monument to the Curies. 

Marie Curie was the first woman to win a Nobel Prize, and the first and only woman to win it twice – in two different sciences – the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1903 and the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1911. She was also the first woman to become a professor at the University of Paris, and the first woman to be interred in the Pantheon on her own merits (she was the second interred, and the first was Sophie Berthelot, the wife of Marcellin Berthelot in 1907). 



























MARTINA NICOLLSis an international aid and development consultant, and the authorof:- Similar But Different in the Animal Kingdom(2017), The Shortness of Life: A Mongolian Lament (2015), Liberia’s Deadest Ends (2012), Bardot’s Comet (2011), Kashmir on a Knife-Edge (2010) and The Sudan Curse (2009).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2016 update on Rike Park, Tbilisi: from construction to busy park

From a flat patch of uninteresting dirt, Rike Park in Tbilisi, Georgia, has transformed in four years (from 2014-2016) into a busy park full of trees, flower beds, sculptures, fountains, and events. Rike (Rikhe) Park is on the left bank of the Mt’k’vari River (the Kura River) near the Old City of Tbilisi. The Peace Bridge links the right bank to Rike Park. Rike Park is below the hillside Presidential Palace and, via cable car, it is the starting point for the ride to Sololaki Ridge (with the Narikala Fortress and the Mother of Georgia statue). The glass box-shaped cable car terminus was opened on 23 June 2012, and since then the park has continually developed into a ‘people’s park’ where people can walk around, eat at the nearby restaurants, sit next to the statue of American president Ronald Reagan, climb the steps to Avlabari district, and access the sights of Meidan Square, the Peace Bridge, the Metekhi Church, the Old City, the waterfall, the sulphur baths, and t...

Pir-E-Kamil - The Perfect Mentor by Umera Ahmed: book review

The Perfect Mentor pbuh  (2011) is set in Lahore and Islamabad in Pakistan. The novel commences with Imama Mubeen in medical university. She wants to be an eye specialist. Her parents have arranged for her to marry her first cousin Asjad. Salar Sikander, her neighbour, is 18 years old with an IQ of 150+ and a photographic memory. He has long hair tied in a ponytail. He imbibes alcohol, treats women disrespectfully and is generally a “weird chap” and a rude, belligerent teenager. In the past three years he has tried to commit suicide three times. He tries again. Imama and her brother, Waseem, answer the servant’s call to help Salar. They stop the bleeding from his wrist and save his life. Imama and Asjad have been engaged for three years, because she wants to finish her studies first. Imama is really delaying her marriage to Asjad because she loves Jalal Ansar. She proposes to him and he says yes. But he knows his parents won’t agree, nor will Imama’s parents. ...

Hop on hop off bus tourism comes to Tbilisi, Georgia

City Sightseeing buses have arrived in Tbilisi. The iconic red double-decker buses, a feature of many cities around the world since the company was established in Seville, Spain in 1999, is now in six continents and almost 100 cities. The company established its Tbilisi business in November 2013, with its operations commencing in February 2014. The 90-minute tour stops at 11 major locations in Tbilisi (with 2 to 5 minute waiting times at each location): the Old City (where it commences), Freedom Square, Rose Revolution Square, Marjanishvili Square, the Dry Bridge, Konka, Avlabari, Metekhi, Akhundov Museum, the Sulfur Baths, and European Square. Passengers can hop off at any stop and see the sights, hopping back onto the next bus at any time. Alternatively, passengers can remain on the bus for the whole tour and take photographs when the bus stops at each location. There are one day (24-hour) passes (for 35 lari – about $20) and 48-hour passes for 55 lari, with family d...