Skip to main content

Infinity Net: The Autobiography of Yayoi Kusama by Yayoi Kusama: book review




Infinity Net (2002, English edition 2011) is the memoir of Japanese avant-garde artist, sculptor, and novelist Yayoi Kusama.

Kusama begins with the Yokohma 2001 International Triennale of Contemporary Art exhibition in which she showcased two installations. She then goes back in time to 1957 when she left Japan to further her career in art in America at the age of 27: ‘my destiny was decided’ in New York. After an initial struggle, she became a successful artist, noted for her ‘net’ art and later for her polka dots and ‘Kusama Happenings’ in the 1960s.

She painted the same thing every day: black canvases covered with nothing but nets, which looked like white lace. She describes her obsessive repetitive patterns and her ‘severe neurosis’ stemming from a ‘toxic childhood.’ She says that ‘before and after creating a work I fell ill, menaced by obsessions that crawl through my body.’ She suffered hallucinations, asthma, arrhythmia, tachycardia, and high and low blood pressure due to her severe anxieties.



Her art was her means to ‘obliterating’ her fears: ‘I fight pain, anxiety and fear every day, and the only method I have found that relieves my illness is to keep creating art.’ She adds that ‘If it were not for art, I would have killed myself a long time ago.’

Kusama diverts attention from her neurosis briefly by discussing the artists that were her benefactors in America, that she credits with helping her when she needed it the most: Georgia O’Keefe (1887-1986), Joseph Cornell (1903-1972), Andy Warhol (1928-1987), and Donald Judd (1928-1994).

She returned to her homeland Japan in 1975 due to her illness. She admitted herself into a psychiatric hospital where she still lives, by choice. She has built an art studio across the street from the hospital to continue her art. ‘But to tell the truth, to this day I do not feel that I have ‘made it’ as an artist.’

Writing her autobiography in 2002 at 72 years of age, she is now 87, still living in the psychiatric hospital, and still painting.

Kusama’s autobiography describes her thoughts behind her artwork, how they developed, and why she focussed on specific themes. It provides readers with a full understanding behind her as an iconic figure and her iconic art. She is exceptionally honest and open about her mental anguish, but also about how she fully comprehends the triggers and how she deals with her demons – initially personally and later with the assistance of professional psychiatrists.

This is a fascinating autobiography. This is more than a description of her artwork. It is an in-depth private view of her imagination and creativity, and the neuroses that drives her art as a way to exterminate her fears. ‘The positive and negative become one and consolidate my expression.’ She defines her work as Psychosomatic Art. Kusama finishes her autobiography in 2002 in a reflective, calm state of mind, content to continue her art – because she needs to, because she has to, because she wants to, and because it keeps her alive.








MARTINA NICOLLS

MartinaNicollsWebsite  I  Rainy Day Healing  I  Martinasblogs  I  Publications  I  Facebook  I  Paris Website  I  Paris blogs  I  Animal Website  I  Flower Website I Global Gentlemanliness

SUBSCRIBE TO MARTINA NICOLLS FOR NEWS AND UPDATES 

 

Martina Nicolls is an author and international human rights-based consultant in education, healing and wellbeing, peace and stabilisation, and foreign aid audits and evaluations. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The acacia thorn trees of Kenya

There are nearly 800 species of acacia trees in the world, and most don’t have thorns. The famous "whistling thorn tree" and the Umbrella Thorn tree of Kenya are species of acacia that do have thorns, or spines. Giraffes and other herbivores normally eat thorny acacia foliage, but leave the whistling thorn alone. Usually spines are no deterrent to giraffes. Their long tongues are adapted to strip the leaves from the branches despite the thorns. The thorny acacia like dry and hot conditions. The thorns typically occur in pairs and are 5-8 centimetres (2-3 inches) long. Spines can be straight or curved depending on the species. MARTINA NICOLLS is an international aid and development consultant, and the author of:- Similar But Different in the Animal Kingdom (2017), The Shortness of Life: A Mongolian Lament (2015), Liberia’s Deadest Ends (2012), Bardot’s Comet (2011), Kashmir on a Knife-Edge (2010) and The Suda...

Hop on hop off bus tourism comes to Tbilisi, Georgia

City Sightseeing buses have arrived in Tbilisi. The iconic red double-decker buses, a feature of many cities around the world since the company was established in Seville, Spain in 1999, is now in six continents and almost 100 cities. The company established its Tbilisi business in November 2013, with its operations commencing in February 2014. The 90-minute tour stops at 11 major locations in Tbilisi (with 2 to 5 minute waiting times at each location): the Old City (where it commences), Freedom Square, Rose Revolution Square, Marjanishvili Square, the Dry Bridge, Konka, Avlabari, Metekhi, Akhundov Museum, the Sulfur Baths, and European Square. Passengers can hop off at any stop and see the sights, hopping back onto the next bus at any time. Alternatively, passengers can remain on the bus for the whole tour and take photographs when the bus stops at each location. There are one day (24-hour) passes (for 35 lari – about $20) and 48-hour passes for 55 lari, with family d...

The Knight in the Panther Skin by Shota Rustaveli (2015 translation): book review

The Knight in the Panther Skin (12th century, this edition 2015) is a recent translation by American poet and author, Lyn Coffin. The author, Shota Rustaveli, is Georgia’s most loved poet. This poem is mammoth, a magnum opus – it is 1,656 verses long, separated by chapters. But readers, don’t give up, because every verse is worth reading. It is akin to 1001 Arabian Knights, Geoffrey Chaucer’s The Canterbury Tales, or Shakespearean poetry. King Rostevan of Arabia has a daughter, Tinatin. She loves the knight Avtandil and he loves her. Verse 368 from Avtandil: ‘The doctor’s could do nothing. A dark twilight on my heart now pressed, I was on fire because of love, but nobody knew or guessed. They blamed my blood. The king decided bleeding my arm would be best; I let it be done to hide the suffering I had not confessed.’ But a knight in panther skin is seen weeping, and subsequently kills the king’s soldiers, sparing the king. Before Tinatin weds Avtandil she r...